Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Day We Met Lash


Lashley Alton Davenport was born to us on the hottest day of the year in 2006. Minutes after the euphoria of a new life in my arms set in, fear & uncertainty quickly swept over me. I noticed that instead of 2 normal ears there was a pair of wadded flesh in their place. I raced through the last 9 months of my life looking for some reasoning behind this anomaly. Did I eat sushi before I knew I was pregnant? Did I overexhurt myself at work? Was I ever near a nuclear reactor leak? Weird stuff that now make no sense was courseing through my thoughts. While still in the hospital through the broken English of an inconsiderate pediatrition we heard words like "microtia", "atresia", "syndrome", "spinal bifida", and more. We were scared & fearful for our son's future. Would my child ever enjoy music, fall asleep to the rain, cringe at nails on chalkboard, smile at his grandfather's signiture laugh? Or would he not? Instead, would he be trapped in a confused world of deafening silence?

No comments:

Post a Comment